We often struggle with a voice inside us that is relentlessly judgmental, the inner critic. You may have found difficulty in dealing with overeating, drinking, anxiety, depression, procrastination, parenting, etc. The inner critic will not help with these problems, but can make us feel worse in the following ways:Evaluates and finds fault with our feelings and behavior
- Condemns us for not meeting the expectations of ourselves or others
- Blasts us for mistakes or not being in control
- Continually reminds us that our efforts are never good enough
- Doubts our ability to achieve success or happiness
- Disapproves of our appearance, intelligence, endeavors
I have found in working with clients, that this critical voice must be addressed in order for change to occur. Change can only occur in an atmosphere of self-acceptance.
During an initial appointment, we can look together at your inner critic and create a treatment plan to manage this destructive voice. Please feel free to call me at (510) 528-4441 or e-mail me at Marc Miller, PhD to discus if I can be of help to you. I look forward to hearing from you.